Sunday 7 August 2011

Custard - the TM version

I saw the TC version of custard in the recipe book but didn't like the idea of having to put it in the fridge so I sourced a TM recipe (which I have loved made in a TM) and it works quite well - I found I had to add a little time to the cook and the was some beginnings of the custard starting to burn on the bottom but nothing to be tasted (just slightly more annoying to clean!!)

So - 100g raw sugar whizzed for 20secs on speed 7

Add 500g milk, 2 eggs and 50g plain flour and cook on 90C for 9 mins at speed 4 (I like my custard more on the thicker side so adjust time to taste - 7mins was far to thin in my opinion but somewhere between there and 9 should set you right)

I know TM recipe book has ideas about adding cocoa and lemon rind etc so may play with some of those ideas another day

3 comments:

  1. Okay so I now have my ThermoChef!!! And i made the TC Risotto for dinner (not as nice as my own pumpkin and pine nut usual but pretty good) and the TC custard for dessert - Should have made the above though... its soooooo runny, i didnt take the "sauce" part of "custard sauce" seriously and it is like a drink. Serving it with fruit cake which will make it all ok though! Also seems like a waste of 6 eggs (needed the yolks) as i cant be bothered to make anything with the whites... I have an 18 month old and it was a looong day! Oh well you never know unless you try (or read this comment :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am seriously considering buying a tc, am off to the shop to check them out further today. Do you think it is anywhere near as good as the tm, or would I be better of continuing to save? Can you easily cook the tm recipes in the tc? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I may end up with one today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em I had that problem with the Kogan, my TM custard was perfect however, the Kogan custard was very runny. I had the temp on 80 though so that might have been the problem... I wanted to avoid burns... I served it in a cup to my husband, we laughed and drank it... but I could not serve it to friends that way. I have been too scared to use the blade cover in lieu of the reverse function (apparently it can come off and is expensive to replace) so I found that using the TC owners advice for tweeking things to be very valuable... as there is nothing out there on Kogans.

    ReplyDelete