Sunday 7 August 2011

Lemon Cake

I attempted to convert this lemon cake recipe and it turned out fairly nicely. It is a heavy cake and can be finished off a number of ways depending on tastes/purpose so quite happy with this one!

  • So first I wizzed up some caster sugar (330g) out of raw sugar - this was my first time in the TC so I was experimenting a bit, I did 8secs on speed 8 then another 4 as I wanted the sugar quite fine. Set this aside
  • Next I peeled a lemon thinly so I just had rind, threw that in the bowl and did a turbo for about 6 secs. Set this aside in with the sugar
  • I popped in the butterfly and mixed the greek yoghurt (300g) and 4 eggs on speed 2 for 6 secs, scraped down sides then 6 more secs
  • Then add 335g of - supposed to have been plain flour but I accidentally used SR & so instead of 1tbs if using plain I added 1tsp baking powder (I am not a chemist or a cook so I don't understand the science behind how these things work but the cake turned out!) and go speed 3 for 10 secs, scrape down sides then another 10 secs.
  • Finally add 250g very soft chopped butter on speed 2 for 5 secs, scrape down sides then another 5 secs (butter will not be fully incorporated and still look lumpy in the mix and this is fine.
  • Pour into a large round tin (or 2 loaf tins?) and cook for 50 mins (or until skewer comes out of centre clean) and let cake cool in the tin.

Now for toppings I like to make a lemon syrup and pour over while the cake is hot using 2/3 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup caster sugar - alternatively you can use a cream cheese icing or just a simple icing sugar/butter/lemon juice icing or something more inventive!

No comments:

Post a Comment